Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Dark Sansa Stark Cosplay Progress: Part 5 - Feather the Feather Vest

Dark Sansa Start Cosplay Progress: Part 5 - Feather the Feather Vest

Now that I have my vest all sewn together, I will be adding the feathers.

To turn this...

...into this.

To start out, I tried to figure out the best way of attaching the feathers. I had three major options: sew feathers directly onto the fabric, layer fabric and feathers a la Life of Jennie, or make my own feather tape using trim, feathers, and hot glue. I decides to go with my own feather tape. 

Step 1: Gather Materials

To make my feather tape, I used braided trim from Joann Fabrics, feathers that I purchased from Amazon, and hot glue. The link to the braided trim was the closest one that I could find on Joann Fabrics' website. 

Trim

Feathers

Step 2: Make Feather Tape

To make the feather tape, I first measured out my pieces of my trim. I gave myself a little room on each side of the vest. Before I cut the trim, I sealed it off with some hot glue. This keeps it from fraying. 


Once sealed, I snipped the trim half way through the hot glue and topped the edge to make sure it was completely covered. 



Next, I picked out my feathers and snipped off the trim strip. From the feathers trim I received, some of the feathers were not super pretty, so I trimmed their ends so they looked nicer. 


After my feathers were selected, I hot glued my feathers to the trim piece that I had cut. I made them hang down probably 1 - 2 inches past the trim piece. 

NOTE: make sure that they are all on the same side. One side of the feather is shiny and one is more matte. I went with placing the feathers with the matte side facing out. 

This picture is horrible, but it gets the point across.


Then I went down the trim until I had completely covered it with feathers.


Once the feathers are glued down to the strand, flip it over. This will be the side that you see on the vest.


Next, I snipped off the excess length of the feather.


And then you have your feather tape!

Step 3: Attach Feather Tape to Vest

I started by trying to sew the feather tape onto the vest. That sort of worked, but it ended up not going so smooth and my sewing machine was less than thrilled with me. So I switched to hot glue. It went a lot more quickly and easily.

When I was doing the second side, I tried to match up each line.

Step 4: Center Edge

For the center edge, I tucked it and hot glued it down.


Step 5: Side Edge

The side edge is a bit hot-glue-y, so I wanted to make it look less like a craft project.


To fix it, I added a bit of the trim to cover up the glue and then hot glued them down on the inside. 


Final Product

 And here is it all feathered up!


Coming Soon: Part 6 - Feathering the Collar

No comments:

Post a Comment