Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Dark Sansa Stark Cosplay Progress: Part 1 - Prep Work

Dark Sansa Stark Cosplay Progress: Part 1 - Prep Work

I am a big fan of Game of Thrones, so while waiting for Season Six to come out I have been re-watching Season Five. My favorite costume from Season Five was Sansa Stark's black feather dress. 


She looks kick butt and totally ready to take back the North.


Look at that face! She knows what's up!

ANYWAY, I decide that because I would be attending FanExpo Dallas in June that this was the perfect time to go ahead and make my first Game of Thrones costume. To start this feather-tastic endeavor, I would need to stalk the crap out of her dress in order to put together a game plan. 

Step One: Pinterest Stalking

Luckily for me, I had already been putting together a Game of Thrones Pinerest Board of all of the costumes that I wanted and I could use it as a jumping off point. Basically, I went though searches and tried to find good quality image of the dress. I came up with the following.





Step 2: Costume Design

Normally at this point in a cosplay, I search through a bunch of different pre-made patterns to try to find something that looks even remotely similar that I can twerk to fit my ideas. This is when Simplicity's patterns came to my rescue. Simplicity makes a pattern which is based off of Sansa's dress. It is almost like there are a lot of Game of Thrones fans out there or something. 


Before I purchased the Simplicity 1137 pattern, I went ahead and tried to find some examples of the dress online. Some patterns don't turn out like you want them and end up being disasters, so I wanted to look around before I made the leap. I found Andrea Schewe's walk-through of the dress and decided to go ahead and purchase it. 

Step 3: Gathering Supplies

I live in Clarksville, TN and we are severely lacking in craft/sewing supply shops in my opinion. I realize that I was extremely spoiled when I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but still. I had options of Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. There was a JoAnn Fabrics in Nashville, but that is quite a drive to make willy nilly. 

ANYWAY, I ended up buying black crepe fabric for the dress and black canvas for the base of the feather collar from Hancock Fabrics. I bought extra because Hancock Fabrics is going out of business and I would be so irked if I had to restart due to mismatch fabric. I purchased the feathers from Amazon, which I will go more in-depth on when I post that portion. 

Now I just need to make the whole thing! 

I will post "Part 2 - Feather Collar Base" soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment