Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dark Sansa Stark Cosplay Progress: Part 2 - Feather Collar Base

Dark Sansa Stark Cosplay Progress: Part 2 - Feather Collar Base

In this post, I will be going over how I constructed the base portion of the feather collar. Unfortunately, I wasn't super great at taking pictures at each step, but I can answer any questions that you might have if you contact me. I will make sure to get more pictures in the future. 


As you can see, the collar is very stiff. It juts out over her shoulder by a couple inches and sticks close to her neck. I need a firm structure so that it won't droop or fall off. 

Step 1: Pattern

For this entire costume, I am using the Simplicity 1137 pattern. I did not modify any of the pattern pieces. However, I didn't follow the pattern instructions completely, so my method is a bit different.

Step 2: Cutting out Canvas

I started by cutting out the pattern  and then cut out two of each piece out of black canvas. Even though the final collar will be completely covered in feathers, I wanted to make sure that any gaps in the feathers wouldn't be detected by using black fabric.  

Step 3: Cutting out Interfacing

In order to get the thickness and sturdiness that I desired, I ended up using Pellon's Fuse-N-Shape Interfacing.  It provides a lot of rigidity and is fusible which makes me very happy.
 I cut out the interfacing using the pattern so that they matched up with the canvas pieces. For attaching the interfacing to the fabric, I turned up my iron super high and went to town. I ended up sandwiching the interfacing between the two pieces of canvas and just ironing it until they stayed together. I then trimmed any excess interfacing that peaked out between the pieces of canvas. 



Step 4: Sewing Neck and Shoulder Pieces Together

While the rigidity of the interfacing made it ideal for holding its shape, it make it obnoxious to try and sew together. I tried to pin it together, but my pins just ended up getting bent and unhappy. As a solution, I hot glues the two pieces together. Next, I took to my sewing machine to sew the pieces together. I went over it a couple times to make sure that it would stay put. 

Step 5: Finishing the Edges

As you can see in Step 3, the edges are quite ugly. No me gusta. So I decides to use some small bias tape (1/4") and some iron on hem tape and go ahead cover all of the edges. The edges probably won't be visible once I add in all the feathers on, but it makes me feel better if it doesn't look scraggly on the ends. 

Step 6: Molding Collar to Fit Me

After I finished making the edges look all pretty, I had a very nice wing.


So pretty, I know. But not the look that I am going for. 

What is awesome about this interfacing is that you can mold it to use its shape with heat. In order to do this, I pinned the collar down to how I wanted to look on my dress form and then ironed it. Using the steam function on my iron made it mold a lot more easily. 

BE WARNED: If you do not have a dress form. Do not iron it on yourself. Don't have anyone wear it and iron on them. You will burn the yourself or your friend. My suggestion is to made a shoulder/torso shape out of something like a pillow or do one of those nifty homemade dress forms that you see on Pinterest. ( for example, http://so-sew-easy.com/diy-duct-tape-dress-form/).

I let it cool entirely before unpinning it from my dress form. 

TA DA!


I am waiting on the feathers before I can dive into covering it. Until then, I will start work on my dress.


"Part 3 - Basic Dress" will be coming soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment