Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Frozen Story Time

Frozen Story Time

For my Youth Literature course, I was required to conduct a story time with a local group of children. Of course, I couldn't just present a regular story time. I HAD to make a costume for it. I am always a big fan of Disney so I decided to go with that. After a quick survey of the children I knew, I went with Elsa because she is apparently all little kiddos like this day.


So I made my costume and put together a winter themed story time. Below are the results!


Books or Stories Used
1. Keats, E.J. (1962). The Snowy Day. New York, New York: The Viking Press.
2. Hicks, B.J. & Mosqueda, O. (2014). Frozen: An Amazing Snowman. White Plains, New York: Disney Press.

Story Time Outline
  • SONG: Fact Not Fiction
  • Welcome
    • Basically Stacy introduced me and we made some Frozen puns.
  • PUPPET: Button Game
    • For this game, a puppet "finds" a button that I had handed out to one of the kids. The puppet will hid and then I gave a child the button. The puppet comes out and asks several children if they have the button before we
  • BOOK: The Snowy Day 
  • Hand out snowflakes
  • SONG: Snowflakes, Snowflakes Dance Around (sung to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
    • Motions that go along with song are italicized. 
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes dance around. (twirl around)
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes touch the ground. (touch the ground)
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes in the air. (arms up)
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes everywhere. (wave arms around)
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes dance around. (twirl around)
      • Snowflakes, snowflakes touch the ground. (touch the ground)
  • Collect snowflakes
  • BOOK: An Amazing Snowman
  • FELT BOARD: Building Olaf
  • SONG: I’m a Little Snowman (sung to I’m a Little Teapot)
    • I’m a little snowman, short and fat.
    • Here are my buttons, here is my hat.
    • When the sun comes out, I can’t play
    • Or else I will slowly melt away.
  • Goodbye Song
Optional Additional Song (if excess time): Snowy Pokey (sung to Hokey Pokey)
You put your right mitten in.
You put your right mitten out.
You put your right mitten in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Snowy Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That’s what it’s all about!

Additional verses:
  • You put your left mitten in…
  • You put your right boot in…
  • You put your left boot in…
  • You put your long scarf in…
  • You put your warm cap in…
  • You put your snowself in…
How to make simple tulle snowflakes:
  1. Get rolls of shiny white or blue tulle strips. 
  2. Cut the tulle into foot long pieces. 
  3. For each snowflake, you will need 3 pieces of tulle. Tie two pieces together
  4. Tie the other piece of tulle around the knot of the first two pices.
  5. TA DA! Simple snowflake.

Pictures!







No comments:

Post a Comment