Sunday, January 22, 2017

Make In A Day Cosplay: Bulma (DBZ) & Dragon Ball Radar

Make In A Day Cosplay: Bulma (DBZ) & Dragon Ball Radar


Because of my horrible time management skills, I was unable to complete my Mercy outfit for SwampCon 2017. I was hosting my own panel and didn't want to show up in nothing, so I put together a quick Bulma outfit. I am watching Dragon Ball Super at the moment and totally obsessing, so yeah a DBZ outfit had to occur. 

I chose to do Bulma's pink shirt/dress outfit.

Result:


Reference Photo:


So, here is how to make this very simple cosplay quickly.

 Outfit Supplies




Iron On Prinables - Jolee's Boutique Easy Image Light & Dark Fabric Standard Transfer Sheets


Knee High White Socks - Dyed Purple
Fabric Quarter - Dyed Purple - For the Neck Scarf
Safety Pins - For the Neck Scarft
RIT Purple Fabric Dye
Tennis Shoes
Cream Tights
Belt
Red Fabric


Outfit Assembly

To construct the dress, I used iron on sheets to put the "Bulma" and "97" on the front and back on the pink dress. Honestly, the iron on sheets I used were pretty awful. They peeling often and forced me to re-iron them multiple times and between the days of Con. 

 I dyed the fabric quarter and my socks purple. The socks didn't take the dye as well, so they ended up being a bit lighter than I wanted. 

Pouch Construction

I made a quick pouch out of foam and wrapped it in some left over blue fabric. I used this pattern (http://meow-chi.deviantart.com/art/Small-Belt-Pouch-schematics-147040252) as inspiration for my layout and honestly winged it on construction. I used hot glue and spray adhesive to keep it together. I also added stick on velcro to keep the top down.  I made in in like 15 minutes before I left for the Con so construction wasn't amazing. However, it held up excellently and I'm pretty damn pleased with it.



Wig Manipulation


To get the wig into the pony tail, I attached it securely to my foam head using pins then I brushed it high into a pony tail. I couldn't get it super high and it took several attempts, but I eventually got it. For a wig with more hair, I would have been screwed (much like where I currently stand with my Mercy wig). It is important to note that to get the wig to fit correctly once the hair was pulled into the pony tail, I had to stretch the wig far down on my foam head. This keeps the wig from bunching up on ya.  



Next, I braided the pony tail and secured it with a band.

Lastly, I made a bow out of a strip of red lining that I had left over.

Dragon Ball Radar Construction

The Dragon Ball Radar is where I spent most of my time. I hadn't made anything like it before so I made this the evening before Con. Originally, I tried to make it a lot more advanced than it needed to be, but it turned out to be the cheapest part of my costume once I simplified it. 

Supplies:
paper-mache circle box
green paper folder
translucent green plastic divider
yellow-green sharpie
ruler
battery operated fairy lights
tape
white paint
box cutter


First, I took paper-mache box and cut it down to where the fairy lights could fit in it, but still pretty thin.



Next, i took the top and drew out a circle. I left a small rim along the edge of the top and cut the rest out.






Next, I cut out a circle out of the paper folder that was the same size of the top.

I drew out the same thing on the translucent green divider.

Then I created a grid on the divider with the sharpie.



I painted both the top and bottom of the box white. 

Next I glued the two circles together and placed them in the top of the box.


Finally, I taped the lights to the folder so that the dots of light would shine bright through the folder and divider circles. 




Easy peazy lemon squeezy!





Simple and cheap. Just how I like it.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your idea for a cheap Bulma. I'm currently working on my own and I was just wondering where you found the transulcent green folder and plastic? Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject.
    Belt pouch

    ReplyDelete