Saturday, January 28, 2017

Fandomonium Prize Construction: Part Two - Poké Ball Pillow

Fandomonium Prize Construction: Part Two - Poké Ball Pillow


For Fandomonium, I was approved to make a Poké Ball Pillow, Wolverine Claws, and a Comic Book Themed Bag. I am going to go through how I made the pillow.



Supplies Needed

I used:

  • half of a yard of red and white flannel
  • quarter of a yard of black flannel
  • pillow fluff (Poly Fil)
  • fusible webbing (optional)
  • hem tape (optional)
  • black thread
  • scissors
  • iron
  • lint roller (my house is run by kitties)
  • paper and tape (for making a circle pattern)
  • ruler
  • pencil/sharpie





Process

First, I made my circle pattern. I made it with a 8.5" radius.






Next, I made circles on my red flannel.



When I cut it out, I gave myself approximately 1/2" of extra for the hem allowance.

I also divided the circle in half and marked it.


I repeated these steps for the white flannel.


Afterwards, I cut both the red and white circles in half.



I placed the red and white circles together and figured out the size of the black center strip.




I ended up cutting out two rectangles that measured 18" in length and 5 " in width.



I next hemmed the edges of the black rectangles so that the length post-hemming was 3.5".




Note: Make sure that your ends of the black rectangles match up. Otherwise they won't be the same when the two circle sides are sewn together.



After that, I sewed the black strips onto the center.




After the strips were sewn on, I used hem tape on the inside of the circles so that the excess fabric wouldn't get all screwy on the inside. This is not mandatory, but helps keep everything laying flat.




Now we have a completed side.


I made two of these. Again, make sure the black strips line up before you sew them down or the sides will be funky in the end.


Next, I moved onto the button. 

I used a plate to get the shape of the button. It measured 7.25" in diameter.



Then I cut that out of black flannel and hemmed the edge. It was a very narrow hem.


Then I cut out the white center. I used the fusible webbing to attach the white circle to the black circle. You can skip this and simply sew it to the black circle, but I wanted to make sure it stayed centered.


Next, I used a zig-zag stitch around the edges.


I did the same thing (fusible webbing then zig-zag stitch) to add the button to the front circle.




I sewed the two circles together with the wrong sides out, but left a small gap not sewed so that I could add in stuffing.

Afterward, I flipped the pillow inside out so that the right side of the pillow were facing out.


I went on to stuff the pillow with pillow filler and hand stitched the gap shut.

Final Result:




Hopefully you like it! For those interested in one (but don't want to make it), give me a shout at fangirlingoutcosplay@gmail.com or attend Alachua County Library's Fandomonium in April to win it yourself!

TTFN!


No comments:

Post a Comment