Sunday, January 22, 2017

Four Star Dragon Ball (Sushinchu) Purse Construction

Four Star Dragon Ball (Sushinchu) Purse Construction

I have recently been rereading the Dragon Ball manga, so I am in a bit of an obsession mode. As a way of channeling that obsession for the good of man-kind, I decided to make a dragon ball purse to accompany my current and future Dragon Ball themed cosplay and outfits. Of course, the four star dragon ball, Sushinchu aka Grampa Gohan, was the obvious choice.

I have laid it all out for you, so that you may make your own. Or, if you are lazy/don't sew/want me to do if for you, you can always contact me (fangirlingoutcosplay@gmail.com) about it and I can make you one.

ANYWAYS, below are my construction notes and tid-bits on my dragon ball purse.

Step One: Gather The Supplies



I got everything at Joann Fabrics for under $20. 

Supplies Needed:
Gold Ponte Fabric - 1 yard
Red Zipper
Red Iron On Stars - 4
Gold Thread
Small D rings - 4
Black straps - Not pictured
Fuse N Shape Craft Interfacing
Medium Weight Head Bond Interfacing

Step Two: Cut Out The Pieces

I used Patter Pile's Circle Purse Tutorial for my pattern pieces. 

Turns out they got it from Alejandra’s Styles, who made a lovely YouTube video about constructing it.

 I used her video for helping me put this all together, so I would very much suggest you watch the video.

Anyways, I made a pattern out of some paper (pictured below). It consisted of: two 10.5" x 1.5" rectangles (base A); one 15" x 3" rectangle (base B); two 2" x 3" rectangles (loops)*; and two circles with a diameter of 12".

*note: I had to extend these loops to work for me, so I actually used 2.5"x 6" rectangles for the loops. I will touch on it later as well.


Step Three: Apply Interfacing to EVERYTHING


The Fuse N Shape has two sided fusibility so I simply iron it on to the fabric. I used the gold fabric on both sides. 



I also sewed all the edges for good measure.



For the two 10.5" x 1.5" rectangles, I wrapped the edges when I sewed them down so that the edges wouldn't be exposed when I installed the zipper. You can see a better picture in the zipper step.


Boom, all the pieces done. 


For the 2" x 3" rectangles, I used the medium weight fusible interfacing. They ended up being too short for my construction, so I extended them to 2.5" x 6" rectangles.




Step 4: Install Zipper


Between the two 10.5" x 1.5" rectangles, I installed the zipper.



Step 5: Sew Straps On

I sewed the 2.5" x 6" rectangles into tubes.


I made sure they were thin enough to fit on the D-Rings.


Then I sewed them to cover the caps between the 10.5" x 1.5" rectangles.


Then looped it back on itself and sewed it down.



Step 6: Sew Everything Else Together

I attached the other base piece to the sides of the zipper block, so I had a lovely loop



My circles ended up being way too large, so I ended up having to trim it down by quite a bit until it fit in my loop.


I sewed the circles in, making sure to open the zipper before both sides were attached.


Then I flipped it out to expose my bag.

Step 7: Iron On The Stars


The stars were easily attached with an iron. It was just press and hold.



Step 8: Add Straps


I added black straps to the bag and used the D-Rings to make it adjustable.

Step 9: Gloat 

Now I have a pretty, pretty bag. Yay me!




The whole project took me roughly two hours max. I would definitely say it was worth it.

If you have any questions, let me know. TTFN!


No comments:

Post a Comment